Bathroom renovations are done for a number of reasons. Sometimes it’s just a matter of changing up the styles in a home. Other times, it’s because the house will be put on the market, so improving where possible is ideal. Whatever the reason is, it’s always a good idea to be well-prepared before going into the project.
Read on to learn more about how to pick the best materials for your bathroom renovation:
1. Get Inspiration from Pretty Much Everywhere
You’re probably already doing this, but it’s absolutely worth mentioning. An easy way to do this is to use Pinterest with a board dedicated to bathrooms. Pin every single thing that gets your attention and piques your interest. Even if it’s a photo of a whole bathroom where it’s only the sink you like, pin it there anyway!
If you’d like something more tangible, you can go the old-school route too. Take a corkboard or even some illustration board, cut pages from a magazine or other sources, then stick them all on. Reach out to friends and ask them to send you anything that looks like it would be right up your alley.
2. Sort Your Collection of Inspiring Images
At some point, of course, you will have to stop gathering inspiration to move on. You can either give yourself a deadline or stop when you see fit. The timeline of the renovation’s accomplishment will be your guide. Whatever the case is, sort through the collected inspirational materials. When there’s a particular element that seems to be recurring, pick them out. Narrow them down as much as possible so that there’s a clearer direction to take.
3. Start the Planning and Designing
This is easily the most overwhelming part of the whole thing, but it doesn’t have to be. Some people prefer using the manual approach with pen and paper; others go the digital route. Begin with predetermined things such as tiles that will be carried over. If you already bought something that you intend to put in your new bathroom, this is where it comes in as well. Incorporating things from the inspirational images gathered prior are also included here.
Pay particular attention to the following items:
- Accents – Tying the many elements of a room design together is best done through accents. Instead of getting a wooden vanity, for example, accessories like wooden planters, benches, and the like can get the job done just as well at a more affordable rate.
- Metal Finishes – Metal finishes add depth to the bathroom. Metal finishes in pairs can do the trick.
- Tiles – This can run up to the dozens and, if you’re particularly zealous, a hundred. They’re available in a wide variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. It will be best all around for you and the professionals you hire to narrow it down to just three.
Bathroom renovations are usually done because of style changes or even the need to improve a house’s value before it’s sold. In order to pick the best materials, it’s key to get inspiration and then sort the collected images down the line. Pay attention to accents, metal finishes, and tiles.
If you need a bathroom renovation in Birmingham and Vestavia Hills, reach out to D.F. Hughes! We can’t wait to help you remodel your home, kitchen, and bathroom or add a whole new room to your home.